Dec 31, 2007

Taking a Diet







A Fabric Diet, it has been slow in coming. It all started when we first started talking about moving from Vegas, where there is a Quilt Shop on every corner, OK, so not every corner, but they were very accessible when needed at a moments notice.
So when I discovered there were no shops in the new area it was a little daunting, by then I knew UPS made deliveries and thankfully our house had it's own mailbox and we didn't have to rent a p.o.box in town, but still to not be able to have what is needed at a moments whim scared me. Being a Scrappy Quilter anyway made it fun for the kids when we would go to a shop as I would let them pick out a handful of fat quarter's, and each one had their own taste so the variety was always good thing!
Once we were moved I had to find a good source for Internet shopping, that of course took some trial and error but thankfully all ended well with fabric for the cabinet and I discovered some awesome places to order from. But still, they were the beloved fat quarters and now I needed pieces for backings, that of course was a cop out because we all know what beautiful backings fat quarters can make!
I fell into a shop closing up with everything in the store being 75% off and I was there at the beginning, middle and end of the sale! The thing was I had always tended towards plaids and stripes, and at this sale I forced myself out of the box and bought a variety, the one variety I fell in love with was the Civil War, 1800's reproductions. Sigh, if the camera hadn't died those cabinets would be shown as well. This past year I discovered Jo Morton's fabric and patterns through a really good quilting buddy that I am blessed with here in Kingman, those purchases are all her fault, she doesn't know this yet but I forgave her the moment UPS delivered!
Anyway, since the battery died, I have also not shown the BOM's, or some of Jan Pateks or Pinwheel's cute little fabric bundles are in, but they are not in vain! There is a project in mind for each collection! Trust Me....................Oh, and the same with the Denim under the cutting table!

3 comments:

~Bren~ said...

Civil war era repos are my favorites! My pink and brown queen size quilt in the hoop are with civil war repos. You could definitly go on a fabric diet!! I have enough to fill one of your cupboards and I have been quilting for 16 years. I only buy what I need and that has helped, but I have missed alot of wonderful lines of fabrics.

Candi said...

What a great stash and sounds like you hit one great sale! I'm a fabriholic so I've got lots more than I need for sure. lol
HUGZ:)
Candi

Granny said...

We all have our reasons for these huge stashes. A 75% off sale would have done me in too. I've never lived closer than 40 miles to a good shop so I've always felt like I had to make the trip worthwhile . .you know -- buy lots and lots of fabric. But, it does fell different this time and I think we're going to make a dent in our stashes this year.