Jan 19, 2008

Rugs and Stashbusting

I like rugs, I tried the crocheting ones and they didn't work for me but then any type of that or knitting isn't my thing! So when at a quilt show a few years ago I watched a gal demoing the toothbrush rug and thought how cool is that!

But once I got home I couldn't get it going and it was put up. Then one of my all time favorite Quilt Shops, Fiddlesticks Quilts had a class, and I drove the ninety miles to take it one night! Being a
visual learner it made all the difference in the world, I had thought I could use up some strips that I already had cut but not so, they said it made all the difference in the world by ripping the strips, I wish I kept track of the yardage because I couldn't stop at doing the little one that was initially suppose to be done per the class.

Then I got into making the runners, there is a smaller one over by the wood burner but I failed to get a shot of it as well while getting these. They are going to also be my inspiration for busting some stash, even though one gal mentioned that she hated to think of using good fabric for these bothered her, I don't see it that way, and although most rugs are made up using old clothes there life is still limited and I hate to think that all the time it took to make wouldn't hold up to the abuse that my family puts them through! I have lost count at how many times they have been washed and they are reversible so one day I will have a nice bright side when the kids are gone!

This first month of stashbusting has been good, I haven't purchased a thing and we are going to be in Vegas Monday and Tuesday, the kids are going to visit friends and I will get to spend some extra time with Don, usually I would have my coupons all printed out to a few shops, 3 to be exact not including Joann's, where I use to like to make book purchases. Not so this week! We are going to visit Barnes and Noble and probably Border's but there won't be anything coming home with me.

I will be sharing the photos of those first 2 ufos here soon as well, I have dug into the stash to add to the bow ties and hopefully it will come out the way I have envisioned it! Then I will share the next ones in line along with what I am using for my leaders and enders.

3 comments:

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

I never heard of the toothbrush method! My Mom and Nana both braided LOTS of big rugs - using wool strips, and chair pads, and hallway runners, and... Anyway, my Grandpa always said that if you were going to spend the time to make something, use the best materials you could afford. Sounds like your rugs are holding up well!

Cheers!

Evelyn

Randi said...

I love your rugs...the colors are wonderful.

Susan Freebery said...

The rug is beautiful! I am already searching for a description on how this "toothbrushing" works. You sure peaked my curiosity!